At Wellesbourne Primary and Nursery School we uphold and teach pupils about British Values as directed under new Ofsted guidance, September 2014:
‘ensure that they and the school promote tolerance of and respect for people of all faiths (or those of no faith), cultures and lifestyles; and support and help, through their words, actions and influence within the school and more widely in the community, to prepare children and young people positively for life in modern Britain’
The British values are :-
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs
We ensure that through our school vision, ethos, agreed rules, curriculum and teaching we promote respect and tolerance for all cultures, faiths and lifestyles. As educators we have a duty to prepare our children for life in modern Britain and to keep them safe. We value the importance of and support the current Ofsted guidance.
The promotion of modern British values and democracy is clearly evident within our school through the following :-
- Assemblies and collective worship where we teach respect for all, right and wrong, tolerance and differences and respecting and following the law.
- R.E. lessons which teach the children about all faiths including their own.
- Our School Council and a democratic system of voting and providing a “voice” for all pupils.
- Our School Mission Statement which outlines our commitment to tolerance, respect, celebration of differences.
- Our School Values and Behaviour Policy
- Anti bullying policy and practices
- Personal, Health and Social Education (PSHE) in our school
- Close links within our community and charity work
- Close links with the Police and their visible presence in our school
- Our Learning Mentors who promote respect for all
Our History lessons which show how our British history has also helped to shape the modern Britain of today and the modern British values of our society.
To see a copy of our Promoting British Values Policy please Click here