Art and Design
Art and Design
Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences, and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think, through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements, and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and on different periods and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
The aims of art and design in our school are:
- to enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- to develop creativity and imagination through a range of simple and more complex activities;
- to improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- to increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- to develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- to foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts, and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
This is our Art and Design Policy
This is what EYFS will be looking at through expressive arts and design:
The National Curriculum for Art and design
The children in our Nursery have lots of fun exploring their creativity through Art in continuous provision. There are endless opportunities both in the indoor and outdoor area to explore Art through drawing, painting and 3D work.
Lots of great ideas for art at home using various art forms such as painting, drawing, sculptures and collage and links with technology including animation and GIFs.
Great website with fun craft ideas to try at home as well as colouring pages and games.
Step by step instructions of how to draw various animals, plants, landscapes and more.
Art Zone interactive activities for iPad and a freehand sketchbook for children of all ages.
Places to visit in Liverpool
Tate Liverpool – FREE
Albert Dock, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 4BB
Art gallery with exhibitions suitable for children and lots of fun activities and games.
Walker Art Gallery – FREE
William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 8EL
‘Big Art For Little Artists’ a children’s art gallery with fun opportunities for kids to make their own artworks, dress up as characters from the Walker’s paintings using their costume kit, play with puppets and create their own stories.
Bluecoat – FREE
School Lane, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 3BX
Discover the best of contemporary art with free daily activities at the Children’s Corner and monthly family events.
Click here to return back to the curriculum page